A brief history of The Hanneys. A great book of memoirs from the
people of the Hanneys was written in 2011 by Angela Cousins and
covers nearly 100 years of history in East and West Hanney. More
details can be found out about it here.
Hanney History Group meets regularly, find out more here.
The mill was built in 1820 as a water-driven silk mill, the silk
originally milled by Napoleonic prisoners. In 1839 when the silk
trade collapsed it became a grain mill.
In 1881 the owner was 61 year old Dennis Dandridge. Dennis had
come to the village some 30 years earlier from East Hendred. By
1887 Dennis had retired and his sons Alfred and Edgar were running
the mill to be joined later by the younger brother also called
Dandridges Mill continued operating until the Second World War
when it was converted into a small engineering works and used for
building parts of the Mosquito Bomber aircraft.
Later still it was used as a sculptor's studio. The Mill was
converted in 2009 into luxury appartments, the mill's original
water race has been harnessed for sustainable power.
St James The Great Church
The Saxons built the first Church in West Hanney, although
little evidence now remains bar two Stone Saxon Coffins situated in
the North Porch.
The Normans completed the basic structure of the present
Building, a simple East-West rectangular place of Worship with the
main Porch placed, unusually, on the North side. The Inner Arch of
this Porch is an excellent example of Norman Carving of a Chevron
Inside the Church is a fine example of a Norman period Font
carved with delicate vertical bands of Rosettes. The Moulded Base,
designed to raise the height of the Font was added in the 13th
The original central Tower was demolished and replaced by the
North Transcept Chapel-cum-Tower in the late 12th century. The
upper section of the Tower was found to be in a dangerous state
during the early part of last century and was rebuilt and the fine
set of 6 Bells re-hung in a new Frame during the middle part of the
The Chancel was completely rebuilt in the 15th century, but the
stained glass 14th century east window in the decorated style was
retained. A beautiful Window of Christ in Glory, surrounded by five
Saints and two Gallipoli Veterans commemorates the 1914-1918
The High Altar is a suberb slab of Purbeck Marble, estimated to
be two million years old. The wooden Altar Rails with their finely
turned Balusters are 17th Jacobean, as is the Pulpit, carved with
To the right of the High Altar is a 15th century Piscina, once
used to house and wash the Chalice and Sacred Vessels. The
Sanctuary Floor in front of the High Altar contains several notable
The original Norman Church did not include a South Aisle, and in
the 14th century the original south wall was converted into a five
bayed columned Arcade, and a new South Wall was added.
The South Transeptal Chapel, sited at the East end of the South
Aisle has a delicately carved wooden Altar. The trefiol headed
Lancets and cusped rere arches are largely 19th century
The Vestry west of the south Aisle was constructed by a local
craftsman as recently as 1994, as part of a major restoration
project. A new Heating system was installed in 2007.
On the North wall see a Memorial Tablet to Elizabeth Bowles who
died in 1718 at age 124.