Walks in and around The Hanneys
Hanney walk 1 starts at West Hanney village green and takes you
along the brook into East Hanney. The walk passes Lower Mill and
Dandridge's Mill with the convenient passing of both The Black
Horse in East Hanney and The Plough in West Hanney.
1. Park at West Hanney village Green near to the Butter Cross.
Walk north up Winter Lane, just past the last house on the right
hand side, Gigha Cottage, you will see a path into some fields.
Pass through the gate and follow the left hand fence along the
perimeter of the field. When the fence ends at a corner, continue
on across to the gate opposite.
2. Follow the path to the left between trees and stay on this
path until you reach the beautiful Lower Mill on the right hand
3. Take the footpath to your left, alongside the brook and pass
through the gate at the end into an open field.
4. Carry on straight ahead with the brook to your left onto the
next gate, then bear right onto the next gate and along the path
that leads into Ebbs Lane.
5. Follow Ebbs Lane to the end, on the left you will see the old
village bakery. Carry straight on and follow the road on to East
Hanney Village Green.
6. Ahead you will see a footpath that leads onto Main Street,
turn right and follow Main Street until you reach The Black Horse
on the left, you might want to stop here and take on
7. Turn left out of The Black Horse then follow the road to the
junction then turn right into Mill Orchard. Follow the road to
Dandridge's Mill) now some quite stunning apartments. Note the
Archimedean Hydro Screw which provides power for the building.
8. Before you follow the road round to the right take a footpath
down the side of Mill House. Cross the farmyard ahead on then the
follow the footpath back towards West Hanney. Keep the hedge to
your right. On reaching a track, turn left then follow it to the
community woodland on the right.
9. Turn right into the Community Woodland and follow the path
through it straight ahead, at the end bear right onto a path
leading to St James the Great church yard on the left.
10. Pass through the church yard to the right of the church onto
Church Street. Turn left into Church Street. On your right you will
see The Plough. Visit West Hanney's village pub for some more
11. On leaving The Plough turn right and follow Church Street
round to the junction with Main Street. Turn Right and follow Main
Street back to West Hanney Village green, returning to your
Note: Bus services are available to West Hanney but only a
couple of time a week. A good service, (X30 and X31
Stagecoach) runs to East Hanney throughout the day from Oxford and
Wantage. The X31 conveniently stops outside The Black Horse.